Welcome at the
Department of Economic Sociology
Economic sociology is a special field of sociology which focuses on economic phenomena in societal context. The field has been established at the University of Vienna in 1992 and became a department in 2005.
The main focus of research at the department is:
- International comparative analysis of structures, institutions, and dynamics of the labor market, their formation conditions and socio-economic consequences
- Sociology of work and life course, in particular youth labor markets
- Experimental research in decision processes and voting behavior in committees and networks
- Organizational structures of labor market associations
- Structures and processes of public employment
- Methodological research on experimental methods and international comparative analysis
The range of teaching encompasses economic sociology in a broad sense, including organizational and labor sociology, labor relations, and methods of empirical research.
The department contributes to the curricula of the following programs:
- Business administration
- International business administration